Banner

Banner

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

(No Subject)

Email received January 14, 2013

Hola familia,

That´s so funny that you guys are dying of the cold up there, it´s so dang hot here. A member told me that the hottest day of the year passed last week, but I was in the nice air conditioning of the hospital in Asunción (I´ll explain in a little). But I showed this same member family our family picture and the hermana was pretty much in tears. The members here are pretty nice, but they are a little difficult to get to help us in the work. Pretty much we walk around in the sun all day and clap doors. That´s how we do most of our finding but lately we´ve been getting more references from the people we´re teaching so it´s been pretty helpful. Yonny (Johnny) came to church again and he also went for us (not with us but for us) to look for an investigator that lives close to him. He´s so great. He didn´t have enough money to pay for the colectivo to get to church but he had enough faith so he made it. He´s 15 years old but he already dropped out of high school, but he told me that he really wants to go on a mission so he´s going to do a program that will get him something like a GED I think so he can go. I think he's going to get baptized soon (maybe this Saturday), I´m super excited.

So about the hospital... Last week one of the Elders that I live with, Elder Behymer, got really sick and had to go to the hospital. He couldn´t take any medicine because he threw it up, so he had to be admitted to the hospital and have an IV (and the poor kid hates needles and hospitals more than anything). So President didn´t want his area to not be worked for all the days he would be in the hospital, so we did a division. I went to the hospital and stayed with him and his companion and Elder Morinigo went to work. It was pretty boring because we couldn´t watch tv or anything, but it was still pretty fun. We studied, talked, and did a lot of preaching to the nurses. A super nice member family brought us McDonalds and then we ordered Pizza Hut twice! I got a huge confidence boost in my Spanish because Elder Behymer speaks about as well as I do, so it was the two of us figuring out the hospital and I feel like we did pretty well. It made me feel bad for anytime I´ve ever been impatient with Hispanic people that might take a little while in front of me in line, it´s pretty tough. But it was way cool, I talked to this one nurse and her family was from Italy. I told her mine too and we started talking a little bit about family history work. I got her name and number and she said the missionaries can come by and teach her a little more about the wonderful resources we have for family history work and the Book of Mormon (also I did get the money grandma sent in my pocket. It almost made me cry when I found it because that´s a lot of money down here). I also had my interview with President this week. It was nice talking with him, he´s such a great guy (watch out for him in conference someday, I bet he´ll be a general authority after his mission). He told me that it´s cool if you guys mail me a copy of the film of your ward Christmas Party, he told me I can watch it on P-days.
 
Well my time is about up, but I want to tell you something that I am learning. This week Elder Morinigo did a division with the other elder and the other elder told me that Elder Morinigo seemed upset. It was the same when I got back with him, but I just started praying that things would get better and I felt really good. But there were still problems and I had no idea what was going on. But on Sunday, yesterday, I was talking with another elder that I live with. He´s had some struggles on the mission and has even talked to President about going home, as I talked with him I realized that he really just wanted someone to listen to him. So I sat and listened and tried not to talk too much and it was really neat. I decided that I would try the same with Elder Morinigo. It took a little while to get him to start talking, but once he started he didn´t stop! We talked for about 2 and a half hours and I just tried to listen and laugh as he told me stories. Today has been a lot better, he´s been joking around and everything. I think there are a lot of us that have things to say, but not a lot of us just listen. I decided that I´m going to work on being a good listener and I think it will help me get along with people a lot better. I love you guys and I pray for you often. I will keep grandma Marla in my prayers and send her my love.
 
Con Amor
Elder Hulsey

P.s. I decided that it´d probably be best if you just deareldered my cousins and friends letters once a month. Also the pictures are of a sunset (not in the jungle, just from my house so it´s not that great) and the "whithcraft" that Elder Morinigo drinks when he doesn't feel good.